The LiteSpeed Web Server is a highly scalable PHP web server with high performance and low memory consumption. It is built based on the best practices of the PHP hosting, utilizing the benefits of both Apache and NGINX implementations, and integrating its own optimizations.
The feature-rich structure of the LiteSpeed application server includes the following specifics:
- an event-driven architecture (like NGINX) consumes fewer resources than Apache process-based model, ensuring better performance with minimum memory and CPU usage
- full compatibility with commonly used Apache features including mod_rewrite, .htaccess, and mod_security
- individual optimization for the most popular hosting platforms (e.g. WordPress, Magento, Drupal, Joomla, etc.)
Unispace PaaS supports LiteSpeed solution out-of-box to provide a secure, efficient, and scalable server for the PHP hosting in the cloud. According to our benchmark tests, the LiteSpeed performance capacity varies from just a few times up to ten times higher than the main competitors such as Apache and NGINX web servers. Below you’ll see the results of testing, as well as how to install, configure and track performance of LiteSpeed WS within Unispace PaaS.
As well as providing a ready-to-go PHP environment customised with your selected version of Nginx or Apache and PHP, there are a selection of one-click environment installs available in our free marketplace. These include:
- WebMail Lite
- Maian Cart
LiteSpeed Web Server Installation
1. Log into your Unispace account and click New Environment at the top.
2. Within the opened topology wizard, switch to the PHP tab and select LiteSpeed Web Server as your application server. Set other configurations up to your needs (e.g. cloudlets limit, Public IPs, region, etc).
3. Once the environment is created, you can click on the Open in Browser button next to the application server.
4. Within the opened default page, you’ll see your server’s phpinfo data.
The environment is ready for your PHP application to be deployed.
LiteSpeed Web Server Administration
In contrast to Apache or NGNIX, the LiteSpeed Web Server is configurable via a WebAdmin console by default and can be reached using URL and credentials provided in the respective email after installation.
The WebAdmin Console is a very well documented application that has a user-friendly self-described interface with three main areas: General, Configuration, WebAdmin Console
LiteSpeed Web Server General Management Actions
The section General allows to perform common operations with a regular web server using the following options:
- Restart – allows to restart the web server, detached php processes and virtual hosts
- Toggle Debug Logging – allows to enable/disable debug level logging in an emergency manner. Always set debug level to NONE if you do not need detailed debug logging. Active debug logging will severely degrade service performance and potentially saturate disk space in a very short time. Debug logging includes detailed information for each request and response
- Server Log Viewer – displays server logs of different levels using a user-friendly representation
- Real-Time Stats – this module is a powerful tool to carry out server workload analysis
- Version Manager – this tool allows performing web server version updates.
- Compile PHP – allows to compile PHP for LiteSpeed Web Server
Now you see how easy it is to get LiteSpeed WS up and running, as well as what performance increase you can get with it migrating from Apache or NGINX web server. High results make this solution a perfect choice for running applications like WordPress or Magento with heavy or variable load. This server is already integrated to the pre-packaged WordPress and Magento that can be installed just in a click.
Explore the benefits of high performance and availability with cutting edge LiteSpeed Web Server hosted at Unispace Cloud.